Dental implants can last for years, or even a lifetime if they are cared for properly. At Winning Smiles Family Dentistry, we care about our patients and help establish a great at home care plan for their implants. Maintaining the health of the implants is important, so your smile looks stunning for years.
Dental Implants take approximately four to six months to heal as the bone fuses to the new implant. The tissue surrounding the implant should remain pink with no signs of infection, prolonged pain, or gum disease. If you experience any issues with your dental implants during the healing process, please call our office.
Dental implant care guidelines:
- Brush teeth using a non-abrasive brush such as a soft tooth brush. Make sure while brushing to reach all sides of the implant.
- Use a non-abrasive gel or paste while brushing. This will ensure any exposed surface of the implant is not scratched.
- Avoid any products containing stannous fluoride, baking soda, sodium fluoride, or stain removers. The implant can be prone to corrosion if any of these products are used.
- Floss daily using implant specific floss or wax free floss, to help protect the tissue surrounding the implant.
- If any inflammation is present, use an anti-microbial rinse and call our office.
- A Waterpik Water Flosser can be used to reach any difficult areas around the implant and reduce inflammation.
It is important to care for your dental implants just like you would for natural teeth. Good oral hygiene will keep the implants healthy, and ensure they last. Keep them free of plaque and bacteria by brushing and flossing every day. If cared for properly, dental implants can last a lifetime.Please call or email Winning Smiles Family Dentistry today to schedule your appointment and see how we can meet your dental implant needs.